DON’T WANT THE SNIFFLES?
Fluctuating weather temperatures and increased rain can affect our immunity. One minute it’s hot, the next it’s not, and we usually see an increase in runny noses and sniffles. Lowered immunity allows airborne viral pathogens to enter our system and take hold, which can put a dampener on things.
This past year has seen a change in the way we manage colds. Not only do we need to be COVID free to circulate among our businesses, school and friends, but having any type of cold means you have to stay home until it’s better.
The days of ‘soldiering on’ are not the way to maintain long term health. A better way to approach the issue is to look at it holistically, as part of our overall health. What we really want is to boost our immunity naturally, NOW, early in Autumn so the body can fight these bugs before they take hold.
Here are some proven methods to boost your immunity. At the top of the list is DIET, and in particular, Vitamin C rich fruit that’s easily available, cheap and stores well.
Oranges contain 150% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
The whole fruit is a great source of fibre which is important for healthy gut function.
Orange zest contains the flavonoid naringin which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Oranges are versatile, easy to transport and store and have a long shelf life.
If you leave the skin on the apple (unwaxed is preferable) apples contain 14% the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C.
Apples are rich in the flavonoid quercetin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
A great source of soluble fibre, pectin in apples is fermented by good gut bacteria which helps to prevent certain cancers and bowel disorders.
Easy to store, crisp and delicious, they can be eaten whole, or sliced and added to salads. Paired with a handful of almonds, they make a delicious and nutritious high fibre snack.
Limes contain 32% the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C which in addition to strengthening the immune system may also relieve asthma symptoms triggered by the common cold.
Limes contain a flavonoid called naringenin, which has strong cancer-preventing properties.
Citric acid in limes and other citrus fruits may prevent kidney stones from forming.
Long lasting, the juice can be added to drinks, segments of fruit can be added to salads for extra flavour and zing.
For vitamin C, few fruits exceed the amount of vitamin C in kiwifruit. They contain a whopping 120% the recommended daily intake.
Another great food for digestive health with 9% RDI fibre, kiwifruit help to feed the good bacteria in our gut and keep us regular.
With 38% the recommended daily intake of vitamin K, kiwifruit play a role in blood clotting, bone metabolism, and regulating blood calcium levels.
Peel and chop kiwi to eat as a snack or slice thinly and add to green salad.
Spinach and other leafy greens contain Vitamin K, A, B2, Vitamin C and folate. They are also a good source of manganese, magnesium and iron. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health.
Add leafy greens to your diet to decrease acidity and boost your immune system.
NINE TOP TIPS TO STRENGTHEN IMMUNITY NATURALLY
1) SLEEP. Sleep is the tool we have for assisting our bodies build immune resilience, and as little as one night of less or lost sleep can cause our immunity to drop, significantly.
2) WHOLE PLANT FOODS, a whole foods diet is nutrient and fibre rich and assists the body to function optimally.
3) PROBIOTICS / FERMENTED FOODS. Eaten in moderation, a small number of fermented foods can assist gut function and assist elimination of pathogens.
4) HEALTHY FATS are a rich source of energy for the cells in our brains, which along with exercise can stimulate the growth of new brain cells and improve memory.
5) LIMIT SUGAR INTAKE. Sugar is a stimulant and a toxin and it takes energy away from the body in order to process out of the body.
6) MODERATE EXERCISE is a proven mood enhancer and method for improving overall fitness, both cardiovascular and the strength of bones, joints and ligaments
7) GOOD HYDRATION is required to regulate body temperature, keep joints lubricated, prevent infections, deliver nutrients to cells, and keep organs functioning properly. Being well-hydrated also improves sleep quality, cognition, and mood.
8) MANAGE STRESS Stress that's left unchecked can contribute to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
The Q range of bioenergetic remedies has two products that can assist to support you. Available now for $25 per bottle, contact me directly to purchase.
Q IMMUNE is the perfect immune boost and helps protect against viral outbreaks, travel, back to school and recovery after illness.
Q FLU is great for people exposed to any flu virus, travel support and a general boost.
RRP $25, contact me directly to purchase.
If you require further support or have individual health concerns, please book via the website or call on 0415 847 429.